You are here
Renewal of MRP
Due to the deterioration of the COVID-19 situation, the Government of Bangladesh has imposed hard restrictions on the overall activities and movement starting from 14 April 2021. Therefore, Consular services (passports, police verification, driving license verification etc.) that require processing at the Dhaka end are expected to face delay.
The government of Bangladesh does not renew or extend the validity of Machine-Readable Passports (MRP) as it expires. Instead, it issues a new MRP with full validity of 5 years. The High Commission advises all to apply for a new MRP six months before the expiry of the validity of the existing passport. Unreasonable delay often requires Police verification and may offset early issuance of passport.
1. Apply online at the following link:
If you intend to request for any change/alteration of information, please note that the Bangladesh Government does not allow certain changes. In case of changes allowed by the Government, please check the requirements at the following link:
2. Print the online application and other forms (if there is any)
3. Have the printed copy attested (at page- 4) by an authorized official.
(MRP rules require all applicants to get certification/attestation from any authorised person in Australia or New Zealand like Councillor/JP//GP/Teacher/Notary Public/Solicitor/Public Servant about their identity. In case of difficulty in obtaining certification in Bangla, applicants may translate this part of the application form into English on a separate sheet of paper and obtain a signature from the certifier. Address and seal of the attester must be provided at page-4 of the form)
4. Make the payment (Please see “Modes of Payment”)
5. Submit the following documents at the High Commission:
- Copy of the filled-in MRP Application Form (DIP Form 1, duly attested by authorized attester) and in case of any change of information then copy of filled-in DIP Form 2.
- Original Passport / photocopy of the passport.
- One (01) copy of a recent passport size photograph of the applicant to be affixed on top of the 1st page. If the applicant is under the age of 15, two (02) copies of photos, as well as parents’ photos, are required to be affixed on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parents’ photos is accepted.
- For children aged between 6-15, please book an appointment with the High Commission by sending an email at [email protected] for biometric data entry (fingerprint, signature & photograph) between 0930-1300 hrs on office days between Monday to Thursday.
- Permanent Residence Card/ Job ID card/ Student ID card/any photo ID etc. in support of applicant’s residence in the foreign country.
- Photocopy of applicant's National ID Card or Birth Registration Certificate containing a 17-digit number which was submitted at the time of issuance of existing MRP.
- Documents in support of the change (if requested online). For change of profession as a technical expert i.e. Engineer, Physician, Legal Practitioner, Teacher, Driver etc. please attach a certified/attested copy of the Education/Professional certificate.
- For change of Marital Status i.e. unmarried to married or married to divorced etc. Please attach a certified/attested copy of the marriage/divorce certificate.
- Proof of payment.
- For International Students: Please provide a copy of a valid student ID, visa copy, Confirmation of Enrollment (COE).
- In case of sending the documents by mail, please send a self-addressed pre-paid registered return envelope (requiring a signature on delivery) or arrange pre-paid return courier. (Please see more on Modes of Delivery)
The High Commission submits the application at the Department of Immigration & Passport (DIP) in Dhaka electronically (after duly entering the applicant’s fingerprints, signature in Electronic Pad and photographs for children only). After appropriate approval procedure, Machine Readable Passports (MRP) are issued and printed by DIP in Dhaka.
Since passport applications are processed and printed in Dhaka and thereafter DIP forwards those to the High Commission by courier, the “Tentative Collection Date” shown on the “Delivery slip” is indicative only. As such, earlier understanding of “Express or Urgent” delivery does not hold in the present context beyond expedited handling at some steps in the process. The High Commission will contact the applicant once it receives the passport from Dhaka. However, the indicative delivery time frame is given below:
- For express/urgent payment: 20-25 working days
- For regular payment: 30-35 working days
Applicants may like to contact the High Commission by sending an email at [email protected] to follow up on the progress if in case High Commission does not contact them within the stipulated time frame. Please mention your name, date of birth, enrolment number and its date in your email.
Note: The delivery time of passports varies for the applicants who applied for correction/ alteration/change of any information of the existing passport. It goes through a further approval procedure at the DIP, Dhaka causing a delay on which the High Commission has no control.
Collection in Person:
On receiving a call from the High Commission, the applicants may collect the new passports from the High Commission personally. Please bring along the old passport as well as the “Delivery Slip”. The High Commission will hand over both the new and old one after necessary endorsement.
Collection by Mail:
If you have already provided a return envelope and the old passport in original, the High Commission will send both the new and old passports after necessary endorsement. (Please see more on Mode of Delivery)
- Regular fee: A$ 145.00
- Urgent fee A$ 290.00 (remain suspended)
Fees for International Students:
- Regular Fee A$ 45.00
- Urgent Fee A$ 145.00 (remain suspended)
(To avail the special rate for students, the following criteria have to be fulfilled:
- the profession is mentioned as "student" in their passports;
- have arrived in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji from Bangladesh with valid student visa for the purpose of the study;
- holds a valid student ID and student visa
However, the following professionals who have met the above criteria will be excluded:
i) University Teachers/Researchers who are pursuing studies through Government scholarship or through funding support from the host Government or any other bilateral/multilateral sources; and
ii) Students gainfully employed in Bangladesh or abroad and / or sponsored by his/her own employer)
Modes of Payment: (Click here)
- A photocopy of the existing passport is enough for submitting the application, but during endorsement of the new passport, please bring/send the existing one which will ultimately be returned to the holder;
- The High Commission is not responsible for documents lost or delayed in mail / Courier.
- For applications in Person- Please appear at the High Commission between 9.30 am to 12.30 pm on the working days. No application in person would be received beyond this time except in case of emergency.