You are here
Renewal of MRP
Government of Bangladesh does not renew or extend the validity of Machine-Readable Passports (MRP) as it expires. Instead, it issues a new MRP with full validity of 5 years. The High Commission advises all to apply for a new MRP six months before expiry of validity of existing passport. Unreasonable delay often requires Police verification and may offset early issuance of passport.
1. Apply online at the following link:
If you intend to request for any change/alteration of information, please note that the Bangladesh Government does not allow certain changes. In case of changes allowed by the Government, please check the requirements at the following link:
2. Print the online application and other forms (if there is any)
3. Have the printed copy attested (at page- 4) by authorized official.
(MRP rules require all applicants to get certification/attestation from any authorised person in Australia or New Zealand like Councillor/JP//GP/Teacher/Notary Public/Solicitor/Public Servant about their identity. In case of difficulty in obtaining certification in Bangla, applicants may translate this part of the application form into English in a separate sheet of paper and obtain signature from the certifier. Address and seal of the attester must be provided at page-4 of the form)
4. Make the payment (Please see “Modes of Payment”)
5. Submit the following documents at the High Commission:
- Copy of the filled-in MRP Application Form (duly attested by authorized attester) and DIP form 2 filled in electronically.
- Photocopy of the existing passport.
- One (01) copy of recent passport size photograph of the applicant to be affixed on top of the 1st page. If the applicant is under the age of 15, two (02) copies of photos as well as parents’ photos are required to be affixed on the application form. In certain cases, either of the parents’ photos are accepted.
- For children aged between 6-15, please book an appointment with the High Commission by sending an email at email@example.com for biometric data entry (fingerprint, signature & photograph) between 0930-1300 hrs on office days between Monday to Thursday.
- Photocopy of applicant's National ID Card or Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit number which was submitted at the time of issuance of existing MRP.
- Documents in support of the change (if requested online). For change of profession as a technical expert i.e. Engineer, Physician, Legal Practitioner, Teacher, Driver etc. please attach a certified/attested copy of Education/Professional certificate.
- Proof of payment.
- In case of sending the documents by mail, please send a self-addressed pre-paid registered return envelope (requiring signature on delivery) or arrange pre-paid return courier. (Please see more on Modes of Delivery)
The High Commission submits the application at the Department of Immigration & Passport (DIP) in Dhaka electronically (after duly entering applicant’s fingerprints, signature in Electronic Pad and photographs for children only). After appropriate approval procedure, Machine Readable Passports (MRP) are issued and printed by DIP in Dhaka.
Since passport applications are processed and printed in Dhaka and thereafter DIP forwards those to the High Commission by courier, the “Tentative Collection Date” shown on the “Delivery slip” is indicative only. As such, earlier understanding of “Express or Urgent” delivery does not hold in the present context beyond expedited handling at some steps in the process. The High Commission will contact the applicant once it receives the passport from Dhaka. However, the indicative delivery time frame is given below:
- For express/urgent payment: 20-25 working days
- For regular payment: 30-35 working days
Applicants may like to contact the High Commission by sending email at firstname.lastname@example.org to follow up on the progress if in case High Commission does not contact within the stipulated time frame. Please mention your name, date of birth, enrolment number and its date in your email.
Note: The delivery time of passports varies for the applicants who applied for correction/ alteration/change of any information of the existing passport. It goes through a further approval procedure at the DIP, Dhaka causing delay on which the High Commission has no control.
Collection in Person:
On receiving call from the High Commission, the applicants may collect the new passports from the High Commission personally. Please bring along the old passport as well as the “Delivery Slip”. The High Commission will hand over both the new and old one after necessary endorsement.
Collection by Mail:
If you have already provided a return envelope and the old passport in original, the High Commission will send both the new and old passports after necessary endorsement. (Please see more on Mode of Delivery)
- Regular fee: A$ 145.00
- Urgent fee A$ 290.00
Fees for International Students:
- Regular Fee A$ 45.00
- Urgent Fee A$ 145.00
(To avail the special rate for students, the following criteria have to be fulfilled:
- profession is mentioned as "student" in their passports;
- have arrived in Australia, New Zealand and Fiji from Bangladesh with valid student visa for the purpose of study;
- holds a valid student ID
However, following professionals having met the above criteria will be excluded:
i) University Teachers/Researchers who are pursuing studies through Government scholarship or through funding support from the host Government or any other bilateral/multilateral sources; and
ii) Students gainfully employed in Bangladesh or abroad and / or sponsored by his/her own employer)
Modes of Payment: (Click here)
- A photocopy of the existing passport is enough for submitting the application, but during endorsement of the new passport, please bring/send the existing one which will ultimately be returned to the holder;
- The High Commission is not responsible for documents lost or delayed in mail / Courier.
- For applications in Person- Please appear at the High Commission between 9.30 am to 12.30 pm on the working days. No application in person would be received beyond this time except in case of emergency.